Committed to First-Gen Success!
First-at LAS wants all students to feel confident during their time at UIC and have support on campus. To make this possible for our students, we focus on the following areas of the college experience:
- Knowledge of college policies and academic requirements (including requirements for majors, double-majors, minors, and pre-professional tracks)
- Involvement opportunities (connections to research, internships, and experiential learning)
- Managing course expectations and study habits
- Communicating and building relationships with faculty
- Creating connections and building community
- Using support systems (including academic advising, tutoring and learning centers, the counseling center, and faculty office hours)
- Financial Aid literacy
- Work-life balance
We offer supports in these areas through our programs and initiatives. Learn more by reading about our mission!